Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 72 (Tuesday July 27, 2010): San Cristobal de Las Casas to Xela, Guatemala

I get to the border at around 9:30 in morning and immediately spot a rider, Kevin Isfeld, from Canada on a BMW R 1200 GS. He is having troubles at the border because of a misplaced temporary import permit. Luckily, Jesus Orozco, a Colombian rider I met in Oaxaca on a Suzuki V-Strom riding from Nebraska, passed through and helped to clear everything up.

An Italian girl that cooked one of the better meals that I have had recently in San Cristobal was also having troubles renewing her Tourist visa. Apparently, strong Spanish skills, attractiveness, being female, and tears get things done.

Talking and having lunch with these characters carries me into the afternoon which is primetime for the rain. By the time I pull into Xela two hours after the border I am soaked and shivering even in my raincoat.

No comments: