Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 6 (Saturday May 22, 2010): Yakima to Bend

We worked on the bike at Owen's Cycle. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.



With no confidence in my riding abilities the sudden gusts of wind worry me. Normally, I would have stopped at a lookout point overseeing a deep canyon with lots of windmills strewn across the hillside (absolutely incredible view on highway 97 just before crossing into Oregon from Washington) but the lookout point was across the street going downhill on a gravel road... I didn't want to test my luck again. For about 150km in Oregon we are riding with a very strong crosswind which forces us to lean at a 65 degree angle from horizontal to ride in a straight line. All my joints still hurt from the day before so this is the most miserable I have been yet. In Bend, we see police pulling people over about every 5 blocks... I hope the same thing doesn't happen to me in Arizona. =P

No comments: