Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 226-227 (Tuesday December 28, 2010 to Wednesday December 29, 2010): Salento

The typical dish in this region is trout, made in several ways, with a flattened fried plantain. My favourite trout dish is made by marinading a fillet of trout in tin foil with milk, tomatoes, onions, with some basil, cilantro, and pepper over-top. Just thinking about it makes me hungry!

I hope the following pictures will show even half of the beauty of the town and surroundings. Valle de Cacora (home of the tallest palm trees in the world) is absolutely stunning.



Valle de Cacora


Coffee beans drying.

Doesn't do the scene justice. Probably the most quintessential farm scene yet.


I am sure some people have noticed a theme when it comes to pictures of me. I am always looking away from the camera. There was a picture of me looking away but since I lost the camera I am using Derek as a proxy.

Tejo! A heavy metal disc is thrown at a clay covered board with four packets of gunpowder that explode when you hit the target. The person who was in charge of the Tejo court that night, told us that we should throw from the halfway point instead of the full length because we were new. After thinking that I had enough practice I moved to throw from the full length which was about 15 to 20 meters and foolishly said to Derek, ''what could possibly go wrong?'' One throw later, I broke the light sitting above the clay covered board. Good work Glendon.

No comments: