Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 25 (Thursday June 10, 2010): Loreto to La Paz

While we were attempting to overtake an erratic semi truck, one of his trailer tires blew out and sprayed Jan with bits of tire. Jan could not avoid a significant chunk of tire and after rolling over it, it was thrown into the air and hit me in the face after bouncing off my front fairing and windshield I get hit in the face going 100kph. The chunk is about 8lbs. Under the circumstances I know I am lucky. Never leave home without a fullface.

Yeah, it didn't feel good... I actually thought a bird had hit me since those shredded edges look kind of like feathers when you are not looking directly at it.

In La Paz, a corrupt cop tries to take my license (I did not have my photocopied ID on me at the time... useful I know). He does not speak any English and my Spanish is terrible. I manage to grab my license back and communicate to him that I will follow him to the station to pay whatever fine he wants me to pay. After leading me down several random streets I get an uneasy feeling and head to the Malecon so that there are loads of witnesses. I hand the policeman 100 pesos and and that is the end of the troubles. Cheapest bribe I have heard of yet.

At night we walk around town and it is interesting that the girls will not veil their interest in you.

No comments: