Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 31 (Wednesday June 16, 2010): Mazatlan to Tepic

I meet a Mexican BMW motorcyclist who is traveling in the same direction as I am but he gets a call from the office on the outskirts of Mazatlan and needs to wait for a conference call. There are two roads leading from Mazatlan to Tepic. A toll road and a public road. The toll road is well maintained, patrolled, and has two lanes in each direction. The public road has one lane in each direction and does not have many straight sections for safe overtaking. I disregard the motorcyclists suggestion to take the toll road but after 20km on the public road behind a slow moving train of 20 vehicles with no opportunities to overtake, I turn around and take the toll road.

Tepic, being the first mainland Mexican city I spend time in, I am shocked by the difference from the cities in Baja California. In the center of the city there is a large park which contains basketball and tennis courts, playgrounds, fountains, and a free public zoo.

No comments: