Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 69 (Saturday July 24, 2010): Juchitan de Zaragoza to San Cristobal de Las Casas

I am unable to remember a better day of riding. After an incredibly easy 100km of straight road in sunny weather as a warmup, I have a quick stew for breakfast and hit the twisties to Tuxtla Gutierrez. I apologize to all the mating butterflies since I ruined the moment for a lot of them.

Canon del Sumidero is well worth the 20 peso entrance. Although they should have been paying me since I became a tourist attraction at one point. It is interesting to be on the other end of a tourist frenzy. With no exaggeration, I had around 20 people ask to have photos taken with me and the motorcycle. All it took was a single person to take photos then everyone wanted one. Perhaps I shouldn't look at it as a tourist frenzy and think of it positively. Chiapans might just be that friendly.

Canon del Sumidero

Riding the final hour to San Cristobal in the rain was the first time I have been cold on a motorcycle since northern California. I learn a valuable lesson about Google Maps in Mexico... You can never trust that it puts a marker in the correct spot. Ones best method of navigation is to find a hotel with a map of the area and have the address of the place. I wasted quite a lot of time trying to find places that were marked blocks away from their actual location.

That night, I get the back-sweat (not my own) and the guys from the hostel get free drinks. Let's leave it at that. *Shudder*

1 comment:

Alberta Liberal Caucus said...

Happy to hear all the good news champ. Savour the good times...